I should have stuck with housework. But noooo. Tempted by the sunshine and the desire to put on some more Distance Derby miles, I fetched my favorite horse, Windy, and rode for about eight miles. Not a quick ride; moderate compared to late, and refreshing. I still had some daylight left and decided I would put a couple miles on Fancy; finish out the day with 10 miles on the chart.
Fancy and I had an unexpected parting of ways today. Things I learned:
- Bean fields are not soft. Although preferred over a gravel road, there is not much give.
- Its hard to decide if the tailbone or the hip hurts; they are pretty close to each other.
- I’m pretty sure the tailbone is connected to the clavicle because it hurts too.
- And the shoulder.
- And my temporomandibular joint.
- And my pride.
- My helmet took an impact because my right ear hurts. Helmets are not overrated.
- I landed on the side of my coat where my iPhone was located & it survived.
- Wear a helmet and carrying the cell phone on the body – important rules of the trail - paid off. Although I was barely out of our driveway, I called my son to come and get me. He gave me the “really, Mom?” look.
What happened? Who knows. I took her out a little farther than she was comfortable and when she decided enough was enough, we had a communication problem. She didn’t buck or rear; she just wanted to go back to the barn NOW and while I didn’t disagree, I was asking for a bit more control. We dropped into a ditch, there may have been an unexpected spurring, I lost my seat and we parted ways. It happens.
So four advil and a long soak in the tub probably wouldn’t have been needed had I stuck with housework today. But what fun is that? I am just hoping I am not too stiff tomorrow; the weather is suppose to be even nicer. I’d like to get a few more miles on the Leaderboard.